advertisement
The soup was easy to make and delicious. I agree with the chef, that it isn't just glorified chicken broth! The recipe says it makes 4 servings, but I'd say it was closer to 6, the servings were ample. The measurements for ounces I adapted as follows: 3/4 C diced carrots, 3/4 C diced celery and 2 medium size onions, chopped. The ingredients didn't list the corn tortillas, just the chips. I added about 10 diced corn tortillas to boil into the soup and the consistency turned out great.
I made this soup and it was wonderful. I changed the amounts a little though as follows: carrots, celery, oonions I used 1 cup each I used only 1/2 can rotel tomatoes & chiles 1 1/2 cans diced tomatoes with carmalized garlic 2 pkgs 1oz taco seasoning and instead of Milk I used 10 oz half and half. Wow what a punch!! This was absolutely delicious
My favorite Tortilla Soup is from the Red Robin in Del Mar, Calif. This is almost identical. Very easy. I would start with 8 tortillas and go up from there - 10 was a little thicker then I like. You can always add more.
|
Ingredients
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 fresh diced garlic clove
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 4 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, diced
- 1 (1 1/4-1 1/2 ounce) packet taco seasoning, I use McCormicks
- 10 (8 inch) corn tortillas (cut into small pieces, about 1-inchx1-inch)
- 12 ounces chicken meat, poached, diced
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces monterey jack cheese or 12 ounces Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla chips, broken into small pieces for garnish
|
| Nutritional Facts for Chicken Tortilla Soup II |
|
Preparation
- Saute carrots, onions, celery in corn oil, garlic, salt and pepper until tender.
- Add chicken broth and bring to boil.
- Add tomatoes, Rotel, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Cut Tortillas into small pieces and add to broth mixture.
- Let boil for 20 minutes or until tortillas are thoroughly incorporated into soup stirring occasionally to keep from sticking.
- Reduce heat and add 8 oz. cheese. Simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- Add milk and simmer for additional 10 minutes.
- If thicker soup is desired, add more diced tortillas and let incorporate into soup.
- Garnish with shredded cheese and broken tortilla chips.
- Substitutions: 1 cup Masa Harina (Masa Flour) for 1 10 ct. package of corn tortillas. Gradually add masa flour mixing into broth, mixing thoroughly into broth. If thicker soup is desired, add more masa flour.
- You can also use grilled chicken fajita meat for poached diced chicken.
|
| Serving Size: 1 (533 g) |
| Servings Per Recipe: 8 |
| Amount Per Serving% |
Daily Value |
| Calories 398.3 |
|
| Calories from Fat 172 |
43% |
| Total Fat 19.2 g |
29% |
| Saturated Fat 10.2 g |
51% |
| Cholesterol 74.2 mg |
24% |
| Sodium 1565.5 mg |
65% |
| Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g |
9% |
| Dietary Fiber 4.3 g |
17% |
| Sugars 3.9 g |
15% |
| Protein 28.7 g |
57% |
No comments:
Post a Comment